St Mary Grassendale are committed to reduce our carbon footprint and improve our own stewardship of God's resources. To help us on this journey we are committed we are use the diocesan 'eco-awards' system as framework for change. You can find more information about this on the Liverpool Diocesan website. This link will give you a deep understanding of the award system and our approach, which will affect all aspects of our church family life together. It covers 5 keys areas
- Worship and teaching
- Management of church buildings
- Management of church land
- Community and global engagement
We have made a start by...
- Making our grounds accessible and beautiful and starting a wildflower project to encourage, bees, butterflies, and other essential insects. But still giving pleasure to passers-by and place to remember loved ones. Over the years our gardens have been beautiful tended by our gardeners and this will continue.
- we are reducing the unnecessary use of paper where we can.
- We have installed a new heating system which has much less of an impact than the old system on the environment. It was chosen because it can be converted as the technology becomes available over the next few years.
- We now host a St Marys Pantry , which is part of the South Liverpool pantry network. Their purpose is to help reduce food wastage in our area and allow shopping to be done at a very reasonable rate. So once registered it is possible to get £15 shopping for £3.50. The funds for this go directly back into the pantry network. Our groups have also worked closely with Liverpool Zero waste.
This is a start and we do encourage you to join and help us with this.